Friday, May 29, 2009
Gluten/Egg/Soy Free, Easy to Chew Chicken Nuggets
1 tbsp milled flax seed
1/4 c water
1/4 c gluten-free corn flakes (can be substituted by any smashed cereal or bread crumb-type item of your choice)
1/8 c brown rice flour (can also be substituted by any flour)
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp parsley
1/4 tsp salt or seasoning salt
pepper to taste
1 chicken breast, boiled and shredded (you can also use un-cooked chicken but I'm not skilled enough to make sure it gets cooked all the way through when I fry the nuggets so I use pre-cooked chicken)
a dash of the following: oregano, parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, salt or seasoning salt, pepper, poultry seasoning
abt 1 1/2 cups canola oil
1. Stir flax seed and water together in a small bowl and let it set up. After several minutes it should resemble egg-white
2. In another small bowl, mix together corn flakes or bread crumbs, flour, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, salt, and pepper. Pour about 1/3 of the mixture on the edge of a plate.
3. In a food processor chop chicken into a fine paste. Add oil or water if you need more liquid to make a paste. Add oregano, garlic and onion powders, parsley, salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning to the paste.
4. Roll chicken paste into nugget-sized balls. Roll in flour mixture on the plate. Heat canola oil in a deep frying pan. Oil should sizzle if you toss a little flour in the pan, but it should not be smoking.
5. Take each "floured" ball and dip it in the flax mixture, then roll it in the bowl with the rest of the breading and drop in oil. Turn when outside is golden (about 2 minutes, depending on how hot your oil is).
6. Dip in honey mustard sauce (equal parts of mustard and honey) and enjoy!
*Makes about 16 1 1/2 inch nuggets.
Mine kind of fell apart easily. I'm open to suggestions of how to avoid that. Guar gum in the chicken mix, maybe? But they tasted really good! I'm addicted. I'm going to try making a huge batch and freezing them for quick and easy meals. The chicken I used was actually the chicken off of one I boiled yesterday to make chicken broth. I used most of it for chicken enchiladas and the leftovers were just enough for a batch of nuggets.