(pictures coming soon)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 2 1/4 c flour*
- 1 1/2 c brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp guar gum (or xanthan)
- 3 tbsp milled flax seed (my egg replacer)
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cashews and peanuts**
- 1 15 oz can applesauce
- 1 c canola oil
2. In a large bowl combine cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, brown sugar, salt, baking powder, guar gum, and flax seed, flour, and nut paste. Slowly stir in applesauce and oil. Batter should be thicker than cake batter but thinner than cookie dough.
5. "Glop" into muffin cups, about 3/4 full. Bake for 20 minutes.
Makes about two dozen.
*For this I used 1/2 c gluten-free oats made into flour in a food processer, 1/2 c brown rice flour, 1/2 c coconut flour, 1/2 c (2 parts potato flour, 1 part tapioca starch) 1/4 c Bob's baking mix
**I wanted to add protein and calories and Barrett won't eat anything with chunks so I blended the nuts very finely, almost like peanut butter.
The goal was to make these not quite as dense is the last ones and I accomplished that goal. I still want to put coconut milk in but it just had too much moisture last time. I could possibly do 1/2-1/2 ratio oil and coconut. I could also put coconut milk in place of applesauce but that would still make them pretty heavy. I'll have to check to see which has more calories. But maybe heavy isn't bad since the kids ate the last batch just fine.