- 1 c canola oil
- 1 c gluten-free oats (I used Bob's Red Mill GF Oats)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp cloves
- 1 1/2 c brown sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp guar gum (or xanthan)
- 3 tbsp milled flax seed (my egg replacer)
- 1 15 oz can applesauce
- 1 c coconut milk
- 2 c flour*
2. In a large bowl combine cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, brown sugar, salt, baking powder, guar gum, and flax seed. Slowly stir in applesauce and coconut milk.
3. After the oats/oil have been soaking for at least ten minutes add them to the mixture in step #2.
4. Slowly stir in flour. Adjust amount for desired consistency. Batter should be thicker than cake batter but thinner than cookie dough.
5. Drop into muffin cups, about 3/4 full. Bake for 20 minutes.
Makes about two dozen.
*For this I used 1/2 c coconut flour, 1/2 c brown rice flour, 1/2 c Bob's baking mix, 1/2 c tapioca/potato starch.
They turned out really good, but also very dense. I'm not sure how to make them less dense without eggs but I'm open to suggestions. Maybe less starch and more flour would do the trick. And maybe there was too much oil. I was just trying to get as much fat in there as I could for my skinny little boy (oil and coconut milk).