I had a brownie craving the other day and found a Brownie Mix by King Arthur at the grocery store. (Give me a break, I'm 8 months pregnant!) I have been really pleased with the King Arthur chocolate cake mix so I decided to try the brownies. I had some guests over for dinner who were not gluten intolerant when I made this mix.
- tasted really good--especially with ice cream on top!
- very fast and easy to make
- King Arthur produces their products in a facility free of the top 8 allergens--that means no soy or dairy so my son can eat them!
- our guests never gave an inkling that they suspected I was feeding them gluten-free food. The subject would never have even come up if they hadn't asked about my son's milk allergy.
- They totally fell apart. They might work better if you let them cool completely, but then you lose the sensation of warm, fresh-baked brownies.
- They were really good, but not quite as good as the "gluten" brownies I used to crave.
- The mix only makes an 8x8 pan--hardly enough for a pregnant woman and her dinner guests. :)
- It's over $4 for one box
I think the brownies would be improved by the addition of chocolate chips. Especially if you like a sweeter flavor, adding milk chocolate chips would sweeten them up a little.