Thursday, June 11, 2009
Gluten-Free Shepherd's Pie
3 large potatoes or 6 small, cubed
1/4 c sour cream
Milked to desired consitency
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tbsp butter or margarine (optional)
fresh chopped chives to taste
1lb ground beef
1/2 onion, chopped
1 14.5 oz can green beans
1 60z can tomato paste
abt 6 oz water
1/2 tsp powdered celery seed
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp parsley
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 cup shredded cheese
1. Preheat oven to 350. Peel, chop, and boil potatoes for about 20 minutes or until tender
2. Cook ground beef and onion together. Place in bottom of a casserole dish. Spread green beans over meat.
3. While beef is cooking slowly stir one can of water into the tomato paste in a small bowl. Add celery seed, onion and garlic powder, parsley, salt and pepper. Pour over top of beans and meat.
4. When potatoes are cooked drain them. Add sour cream and/or butter and milk and mash until smooth and creamy. Stir in garlic and chives. Spread evenly over top of bean and meat mixture. Top with cheese.
5. Cover with foil and bake until warmed through (about 30 min)
*tip-for a cleaner pan, line the pan with aluminum foil before filling it.
**If you want an easier version, replace the tomato paste mixture with a can of Amy's gluten-free tomato soup.
Diary/soy free version:
Mash potatoes with canola oil, rice milk (or soy) add imitation butter flavoring if desired, and leave out sour cream. Also leave out the cheese on top of the casserole. Sorry, it's not quite as exciting. If you can think of anything good to put in it to make up for the cheese please leave a comment!