Sunday, December 27, 2009

Product Review: Gluten Free Life Cookie Mix


























I'm not sure if this is a real brand or not. I picked it up near the check stand at a Good Earth store in Orem, UT. My guess is that it is created by either Good Earth itself or a local distributer. There isn't really a prominent brand name on it. The ingredients are sorghum flour, organic evaporated can juice, tapioca flour, baking powder, xanthan gum, baking soda, and sea salt. You are supposed to add 1 1/2 sticks of soft butter, 1 egg and that is all. (I used Earth Balance soy free buttery spread).

This mix is terrible.

1. It smells disgusting and that is never a good sign.

2. The recommended butter/flour ratio is totally off. It was way too much liquid. I would recommend less butter and/or using half shortening and half butter.

3. It said to drop by tablespoons onto a sheet, which I did. They completely melted together to make one giant cookie.

4. They ended up being hard as rock.

5. If you could manage to chip any away to eat it did not taste very good.

6. The recipe says it can make chocolate chip cookies, snickerdoodles, or sugar cookies. What it really means is that you can put chocolate chips in it, roll it in sugar, or roll it in cinnamon sugar (although it would actually be extremely difficult to roll in anything with how runny it was).

1 comment:

  1. You did something wrong with this mix, or for some reason it was defective. It makes the best cookies I have eaten since I had to go gluten, dairy, soy and yeast free. The stickler in most baking mixes is either soy or yeast. In addition, rice flour gives everything it's used in a gritty feeling in your mouth. This product has none. The company has a web site which includes this product plus a cake, bread mix I am going to try. I suggest you try it again.

    ReplyDelete